Boerewors Braai Pie
Filled with boerewors, All Gold Braai Relish and gooey cheese, this delicious and filling braai side dish is one for the meat lovers!
● 500 g (2 rolls) ready-made puff pastry
● 1 egg, lightly whisked with a fork
● 250 ml (1 C) grated cheddar cheese
● 400 g cooked Traditional Boerewors or any other wors
● 1 x 410 g can All Gold Braai Relish Tomato & Onion
● 1 bunch of fresh spinach. Roughly chopped.
Feel free to add other ingredients such as bacon, mushrooms, cream cheese, veggies - go wild!
1. Unroll one roll (250 g) of the puff pastry and place it directly on to a clean braai grid
2. Brush the pastry with a little of the egg
3. Leaving a 2cm border around the edges of the pastry, place the roughly chopped spinach in the middle and sprinkle the cheese over the top of it
4. Evenly spread the chopped boerewors on the pie
5. Spoon the Braai Relish over the boerewors and add any other toppings you would like
Be careful not to overfill the pie. Otherwise you will struggle to close the braai grid and it could cut into the pastry too much, leaving your filling to spill out.
6. Unroll the second roll of puff pastry over the top of the pie
7. Fold the edges of the bottom layer of pastry over that of the top layer and press gently with a fork to seal the edges of the pie
8. Brush the top of the pastry with the remaining egg
9. Close the grid and braai the pie over medium coals, turning the grid regularly, for 15 minutes or until the pastry is crispy and cooked through
Slice with a sharp knife and serve hot.