DOVI: ZIMBABWEAN PEANUT STEW
Zimbabwean Peanut Stew in olive oil and peanut butter.
2 cups of Tastic Rice
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons of Nando's Peri Peri Sauce Hot Sauce
2 red chilli peppers, sliced thinly
4 cups vegetable stock
1 7 oz can of tomato paste
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 carrots, chopped
1 cup okra, whole (Can substitute with Parsnip, Eggplant, Zucchini, Green Beans or another vege. If substituting you may have to add some cornflour to help thicken the sauce)
2 cups of spinach
Optional - Beef or Chicken
Salt and pepper
Stage 1 – Create Peanut Stew Base
- Take a large pot over medium-high heat and add your olive oil
- Once the oil is heated, add your onions and garlic. Cook together for 3 minutes as the onions become translucent.
- Next, add 1 cup of vegetable stock, chilli sauce and peanut butter. Using either a whisk or a slotted ladle, stir into the peanut butter until it has dissolved and mixed with the liquid.
Stage 2 – Cook the Rice
- Place 2 cups of Tastic Rice, 12 cups of water (3L), 1 teaspoon of salt into a pot and bring it to the boil uncovered.
- Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, then remove from heat and drain off excess water and serve.
- While the rice is cooking, proceed with Stage 3 below.
Stage 3 – Add Remaining Ingredients to Dovi
- Add the remaining vegetable stock, tomato paste, cayenne pepper and carrots. Reduce the head to medium-low and cover the pot to let the dovi simmer for 10 minutes.
- Next, add your okra and re-cover the pot. Simmer for another 8 minutes as the okra cooks (and helps to thicken the stew)
Finally, add your spinach and mix in as the spinach wilts and softens (roughly 2 minutes). Mix well into the stew, then take your Dovi off the heat.
Serve and enjoy!